As the holiday season approaches, we must ensure that we don’t forget about cyber security when wrapped up in the holiday spirit. CISA’s Holiday Online Safety Tips Sheet provides simple precautions when it comes to online shopping for buying gifts for your loved ones. With deals and sales going on for the rest of the year, keep these tips in mind when shopping.
Check your devices
Making sure your devices are up-to-date and secure provides a layer of security when online shopping.
- Protect your devices by keeping the software up-to-date and enabling automatic software updates
- Change default passwords and use different complex passwords for each device
- Ensure a thorough understanding of how your information is shared and stored by checking the privacy and security settings on your device.
- Use two-factor authentication for your accounts
Shop through trusted sources
Think about how you’re searching online. Are you on public Wi-Fi? Private Wi-Fi? Are you clicking on links or ads? You wouldn’t go into a store with boarded up windows and without signage, the same rules apply online. If it looks suspicious, something’s probably not right.
- Make sure you are interacting with a reputable, established vendor
- Always verify legitimacy before supplying any information
- Don’t click links or download attachments, search up the website yourself in your browser
- Never provide passwords or personal/financial information to an unsolicited email
- Don’t connect to unsecure, public Wi-Fi
- Make sure your information is being encrypted
- Pay attention to phishing emails from attackers that pose as retailers about special offers
Use safe methods for purchases
- If possible, use a credit card as opposed to a debit card
- Check your bank statements for any fraudulent charges
Don’t let getting hacked be an addition to the holiday season stress! We hope you have a safe and happy holiday shopping season.
Ensure your business is as secure as possible for customers to feel safe while browsing and purchasing. Contact us at Access Tech where we have been helping businesses strengthen their security for years.