The 2022 Cybersecurity Workforce Study revealed that despite adding more than 464,000 workers in the past year, the cybersecurity workforce gap has grown more than twice as much as the workforce with a 26.2% year-over-year increase. Forbes says that the talent gap is impacting risk assessment, oversight, and strategic planning. Cybersecurity leaders said it had affected their ability to keep up in such a dynamic environment. For companies, talent shortages can be detrimental to company success and productivity. How do you get more people to apply and join your company?
Human resources and technology are of equal importance
To excel the business, companies should treat human resources the same as they would firewalls and patching. This means that companies must put their best foot forward when hiring. You can’t just have someone check some boxes and put a few references down. You need to `connect’ with the people you are hiring. You have to make your company stand out from others.
Get ahead of the talent shortage problem
So, what can organizations do to put themselves in the pole position regarding cyber talent?
- Create a positive work environment: This means having a culture that is supportive, collaborative, and fun. It also means providing employees with opportunities for growth and development. The work of cybersecurity is serious but balancing it with some levity can help blunt burn-out.
- Empower employees: Give employees the autonomy to make decisions and take ownership of their work.
- Provide opportunities for learning and development: The IT industry is constantly changing, so companies need to provide employees with opportunities to learn new skills and stay up to date on the latest technologies.
- Company culture: If your company is known for being steeped in integrity and for deeply valuing their workers, that gives you an edge.
- Partner with local colleges and universities: There is a vast untapped talent pool in these places, and forming alliances earlier can create a talent pipeline.
Access Tech prides itself on taking the time to get to know you and your business so we can provide you with the best options and support. Contact us today for help with your IT staffing needs.